Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

my car told me engine temperature too high stop. Since i have

my car told me engine temperature too high stop. Since i have stopped there is literally no water in the engine coolant bit and there is what looks like water on a pipe and underneath my car. Any ideas what damage may have been done?

Hi

Welcome to Just Answer

These engines are quite strong, and can take quite a lot od abuse, so provided you stopped pretty much as soon as the lights came on, there shouldn't be too much to wory about.

You need to find out where the coolant went to, check for leaks to start with, and if none can bee seen, then it may be that it is leaking internally through the head gasket or head, but I must emphasise that these engines rarely suffer head problems.

I have pasted a cooling system description for you to follow, it will help to diagnose where the coolant went, and wether there are any underlying problems that may have caused the engine to over-heat.

You need to start with the basics, check the coolant level, if it is low top it up and look for any signs of a leak, if it was low and you cannot see any leaks, then get a block test done on the car at a garage, it will cost around £10 and will give an indication as to head gasket failure.

Over pressurising may also be a sign of head or head gasket failure.

Next I will describe the operation from cold of the cooling system, any point that does not happen will indicate a fault with that part of the car, so follow the guidelines below and it will lead you to the cause.

If possible use a laser thermometer, otherwise be careful when testing for heat or temperature.

With the coolant at its maximum level, and the bonnet open, start the engine.

Turn the heater on to hot, and the blower on low

As the engine runs, the WATER PUMP circulates the coolant around the engine, test this by ensuring that the heater pipes start to get warm and blows warm air into the cabin, also the engine should get warm evenly and have no hot spots.

As the car warms up, the TEMPERATURE GUAGE in the car recieves different resistance signals from the TEMPERATURE SENSOR and the guage will rise.

As the engine reaches between 80-95 degrees C, the THERMOSTAT should start to open, and the top radiator hose should start to warm up, and the radiator will in turn start to warm up from the top downwards.

The warm water should flow steadily through the RADIATOR and out through the bottom hose indicating that the radiator is free from blockages.

As the coolant in the radiator reaches between 90-98 degrees C, the FAN SWITCH closes the circuit and sends battery voltage to the RADIATOR COOLING FAN, which in turn starts up and cools the coolant in the radiator.

For Cars with a viscous fan, usually rear wheel drive cars and vans, the fan should become stiffer to turn as the engine heats up

When the engine and coolant are hot, the coolant becomes pressurised, this stops the water from boiling and causing air locks, the pressure is controlled by a valve incorporated in the CAP of the coolig system and the correct operating pressure will be marked on the cap in bar, the cap can be tested with a special tool.

By reading this, and following it as the engine is running, you will understand how the cooling system works, and anything that dosent happen as it should will lead you to a potential fault.

Hope this helps, if you need more assistance, please let me know.

Regards

Trev