Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Hi my citroen relay van is a 2.5 d has just started to loose

Customer Question

Hi my citroen relay van is a 2.5 d has just started to loose power. it starts and idles ok but when you go and acccelerate it has no power and throws out black smoke, the exhust gas also smells as if it has not been burnt. any ideas.

kim
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Going off your description of the faults, there really is a fair few things that could be at fault here...

Common faults would be with a faulty air flow meter - a faulty EGR valve - or a faulty ECT sensor - all of which - or the wiring / connections to these, could cause your faults as you describe..

One thing you can try for yourself is to disconnect the multiplug off the air flow meter which is in the air tubing / circuit - and then try the vehicle - see if it runs ok then - if it does - you then need a new air flow meter... Thats a common issue ..

If you don't get any results from that you will really have to have this checked at a local garage who will first run an electronic diagnostic via the on board diagnostic port to see if there are any faults stored or pending in the engine management computer and then go from there..

I dont know what skills or tools you have your self etc - but the above approach is the best way forward on this particular vehicle.. but do try the above first as I say..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.