Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Renault: reg..the petrol flap is locked and I..unlock..keys

Customer Question

Renault New Clio Dinamique reg 06 , the petrol flap is locked and I can't fuel in.I tried several times to lock and unlock the car using both keys , everything worked fine except the fuel filler fap.Please, could you advice with a solution?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

This is most likely and usually a fault with the motor / solenoid that controls the locking bolt that secures the fuel flap shut ... its an anti theft device.

When they go wrong though - this results in what you have - a stuck shut fuel filler flap..

If you go inside the boot / load area... look on the inside of the "wall" of the car on the side of the fuel filler... and you will see a "ring pull" device...

You may need to search a little - but its there you will see it .... Its an emergency release for the fuel flap for situations such as you have..

Pull that - and the flap will open and you can then add fuel..

The motor that controls the fuel locking normally, will likely need renewing - but you can have that checked out at a later date..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I tried to find the ring on that area removing the right side panel(non-metallic one) inside the boot but all what I found was the reel for the right backseat passenger belt.My Renault Clio is the new version and I wonder if there is another way to find that ring or to unlock the petrol flap.

Thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Thank you for your reply..

You are looking too far in the boot area if you have located the seat belt fittings ..

You need to be looking toward the rear of the car - toward the rear light / lamp unit area.. between there and the fuel flap ...and you will find it then.. ;)

I hope that helps you further...

Best Rgds, MIKE..