stevie robinson
stevie robinson, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  20 years experience in dealerships and owned my own garage last 7 years

I have a 2000 W reg Opel Zafira 2.0 TDI elegance. The power

Customer Question

I have a 2000 W reg Opel Zafira 2.0 TDI elegance. The power steering sometimes does not work from starting (never kicks in or stops working while engine running, only from start). My garage says it will need a new motor, pump and steering rack (or is it pinion?), their estimate £700 + labour and they question if I want to spend that much on an oldish car. Could it instead be something to do with the steering lock/ignition switch or a relay?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  stevie robinson replied 7 years ago.

99% of the time it is the electric pump which is bolted to steering rack there estimate is very high is it a vauxhall dealer that is quoting you why dont you get a pump from a local breakers or ebay and try another garage to fit it you can change just the pump dont have to change the steering rack as well

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Local garage, who have savd me heaps before, but are quoting new parts which would also have meant new rack. i will try your idea of an electric pump from a scrap dealer. Thank you very much, Richard

your welcome if you are strugfgling to get one there is a vauxhall breakers by me in coventry called forum autos a guy called stuart he will post you one tell him stevie put you on to him and he will look after you with price