Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Have just replaced the fuel filter on my 2003 Mitsubishi Spacestar

Customer Question

Have just replaced the fuel filter on my 2003 Mitsubishi Spacestar DDI, it started then stopped and won't restart?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  StokeMechanicNo1 replied 5 years ago.
hi there, it sounds like you have inadvertantley air locked the fuel system, very easiely done. to rectify this remove your fuel filter, fill it to the top with diesel , you may have to let it settle and top it up again afew times,and then refit, start the engine and hold the revs up for a few minutes to clear any air, this should cure your problem, hope this helps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it now.
No Problem let me know u get on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

No joy. I 've tried filling up the canister a few times but still nothing. It's definatley fuel shortage though. I have slackend the injector union and turned it over and nothing comes through, and the level of fuel in the cannister doesn't go down at all.

Is the fuel pumped through eletricaly , or does the injection pump suck it through?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't recieve any other reply to this question but I did get it going eventually

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer.. My name is MIKE...

You didn't receive any further replies because, looking at the posts above, the expert that answered you first , opted out .. which means he couldn't help you any more - but he should have told you why he opted out ...for some reason he didnt do that ...

As regards XXXXX XXXXX - the fuel is pumped through by suction ...and this is a common problem with diesels - especially after the system has been opened up for whatever reason - in your case a fuel filter change.. Air gets into the system and can be extremely difficult to get rid off...

Continual pumping - sometimes repeated filling of the fuel filter with diesel - and undoing the injector pipes on the top - the nuts - and then pumping the diesel until it comes through - and then locking up the nuts - will get it going in the end as you have found...

They can be a real problem sometimes...as you have found ;) but persistence gets there in the end usually if all it was was a removal of the filter thats caused it and it was running ok before that ..

So Im hoping that the above will help you maybe now and / or in the future....or in case you get any further problems ;)

Always make sure that everything on the fuel system is tight - so there is no risk of air getting sucked in - as that will cause starting / running / misfire issues etc...

Its worth just checking the filter and all else is tight after running for a day or so...

I hope that helps you some..

Best Rgds to you ... MIKE..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, and I would say you were pretty much spot.

Howeevr should this be an acceptable answer given the time frame from the second question?

Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again - Thank you for your reply...

We work solely on trust here on justanswer.... and personally I always do my very best to help and advise correctly with customers problems.

There are no stipulations or guarantees that a question will get answered within any specific time frame - that just cannot happen - for the reasons I explained above - plus.. experts are instructed not to answer questions that they don't know the answers too - ie, not to guess. This wastes the customers time and money.

However - this also means that sometimes - a question will go unanswered for a time -- thats not because of any fault on the part of experts ...its usually because there are no experts on line at the time that knows the answer to a specific question -as in your case...and therefore - being under instruction not to guess.... the question stays on the system waiting for an expert that can help... and this is what happened with yourself.

This is to ensure quality for justanswers' customers....

None of us can be on line 24/7 I'm afraid as Im sure you can understand..

Again in your case - as soon as I saw your answer - I answered it. Thats the very best anyone can do..

So its not about time frame - its about the answer to the question... Thats what the Accept is for - the information.... and given that I have spent time and imparted my experience to you - yes, I think thats worth an accept / paying for. ;)
After all too- its only about 16 dollars... ! ( 10£ ish ) Think of what I have saved you in garage charges !! ;)

Do let me know if you wish to discuss it further..

Kind Rgds... MIKE..