Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

P0314 error after replacing the EGR valve any ideas where to look next

P0314 error after replacing the EGR valve any ideas where to look next?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Fault code _0314 comes up as Single cylinder misfire.. That would add up - as unburnt fuel would produce black smoke that you report.

You need then to identify which cylinder is misfiring if any given one.

One thing you could try for now as a starting point is check the condition of the air filter and the passages for blockages / restrictions - kinks or collapsing pipes..

Check the air flow meter too for operation...try disconnecting the wiring to it - and re run it... it may run poor on idle etc - but of it cures the black smoke - its a faulty air mass meter.. replace with a genuine unit in that case..

After that would be moving on to checking the injectors. At this point - if not done already - you should have a proper diagnostic check done to include fuel pressure and go from there directed by the results of that ..

Chances are if nothing above cures it - the problem will be with the injectors - they would at that point need proper checking / testing...ideally at a local diesel specialist who will have the needed equipment to rest them for you...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Should I check the pipes just around the air filter or all rubber pipes?
Where should I look on the engine for the Air flow meter? I have a 2.2 TiD Saab by the way.

Also any idea on what I can roughly expect to pay for a air mass meter or injectors?

I bought a fault scanner from ebay so would I get any detailed info from a proper scanner?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

Yes , check the air filter - and follow the pipes right along ... check for any restrictions of any kind - I have even known rags get sucked up and get stuck in the middle of the pipes ! so you need to check them right through thoroughly..

Yes I know the engine you have - it will be engine code D223L..

Air mass meters are a little difficult to price as there are so many... I would do a search on the web for them - you can even get good prices for genuine ones ( new) on ebay as firms trade on there...

The scanner you have will be a basic fault code reader - which is good enough for fault code reading ...though some cheaper end models can give you iffy if not wrong results... The same goes for the injectors..although a local diesel specialist can have these reconditioned for you at a much reduced cost over new - New they are horribly expensive!

It would pay to have a proper diagnostic test done if you still are struggling after having worked through the above... Make sure if it comes to that - that the garage you use is using good - professional equipment....some do use ebay equipment and you don't want to be paying for that ! You need the equipment capable of doing the tests etc I have outlined - which can't be done on such machines..

I hope that helps you further..you will get to the bottom of it that way soon..

Best Rgds - MIKE ..

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Seen the feedback ! Very good- very pleased to have been able to help !! and thank you for the accept...

You know where I am if there is ever anything else ;))

Rgds... MIKE..