Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

P0314 error after replacing the EGR valve any ideas where to look next

P0314 error after replacing the EGR valve any ideas where to look next?
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Fault code _0314 comes up as Single cylinder misfire.. That would add up - as unburnt fuel would produce black smoke that you report.

You need then to identify which cylinder is misfiring if any given one.

One thing you could try for now as a starting point is check the condition of the air filter and the passages for blockages / restrictions - kinks or collapsing pipes..

Check the air flow meter too for operation...try disconnecting the wiring to it - and re run it... it may run poor on idle etc - but of it cures the black smoke - its a faulty air mass meter.. replace with a genuine unit in that case..

After that would be moving on to checking the injectors. At this point - if not done already - you should have a proper diagnostic check done to include fuel pressure and go from there directed by the results of that ..

Chances are if nothing above cures it - the problem will be with the injectors - they would at that point need proper checking / testing...ideally at a local diesel specialist who will have the needed equipment to rest them for you...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Should I check the pipes just around the air filter or all rubber pipes?
Where should I look on the engine for the Air flow meter? I have a 2.2 TiD Saab by the way.

Also any idea on what I can roughly expect to pay for a air mass meter or injectors?

I bought a fault scanner from ebay so would I get any detailed info from a proper scanner?

Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

Yes , check the air filter - and follow the pipes right along ... check for any restrictions of any kind - I have even known rags get sucked up and get stuck in the middle of the pipes ! so you need to check them right through thoroughly..

Yes I know the engine you have - it will be engine code D223L..

Air mass meters are a little difficult to price as there are so many... I would do a search on the web for them - you can even get good prices for genuine ones ( new) on ebay as firms trade on there...

The scanner you have will be a basic fault code reader - which is good enough for fault code reading ...though some cheaper end models can give you iffy if not wrong results... The same goes for the injectors..although a local diesel specialist can have these reconditioned for you at a much reduced cost over new - New they are horribly expensive!

It would pay to have a proper diagnostic test done if you still are struggling after having worked through the above... Make sure if it comes to that - that the garage you use is using good - professional equipment....some do use ebay equipment and you don't want to be paying for that ! You need the equipment capable of doing the tests etc I have outlined - which can't be done on such machines..

I hope that helps you further..you will get to the bottom of it that way soon..

Best Rgds - MIKE ..

Seen the feedback ! Very good- very pleased to have been able to help !! and thank you for the accept...

You know where I am if there is ever anything else ;))

Rgds... MIKE..