Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

i have a astra vauxhall the engine keeps burning oil very quickly

i have a astra vauxhall the engine keeps burning oil very quickly it is not the head cas has this has twice been look at from our local gargage at a cost of £700.00 the problem still has not resolved please can you come up with any ideas what it could be
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

For me to be able to help you properly - I need to know the year of the car - and also its mileage...

Please also tell me the engine size and type ?

Also - please tell me the cars service . recent repair history ...

Rgds, MIKE......

Once I have this info - I will be in a better position to help you..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

vauxhall astra 1.6 8v mileage 94692

service head gasket has been done twice before

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Problems with the breather system on the engine cas cause black smoke and oil usage problems - so have the breather system fully checked through... That would be the easiest issue for you - the cheapest to sort out..

Problems with the cylinder head will not cause such oil usage... Oil burning like that is going to be down to either worn cylinder bores and / or worn or broken piston control rings.. if its not the breather system as above.

You will be getting the cat light on because of the excess oil coming down the exhaust system...

I cant understand why the garage would do that work on the head in a bid to cure oil usage - that just doesn't make sense so you might want to discuss that with them..

Either way - going off what you have described - you are going to need to have the engine stripped and checked - the bottom end - for wear , problems as described above... maybe a different garage would be better...

So work through as above and that will get to the bottom of this ..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.