Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  City & Guilds Vauxhall Master Technician & Auto Electrician Since 1993

peugeot: which wont start and we think there is air..diesel pump..van

we have a peugeot j5 campervan which wont start and we think there is air in the diesel pump. do you have any idea how to bleed the air out or just to get the van to start. any help gratefully received
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Bill_Crosby replied 7 years ago.
Good morning, I hope I can help you.

The first thing to do is work the hand pump at the fuel filter to prime the system. Pump it up until it feels firm.

Next is to slacken the pipe connectors at the injectors a full turn. Now get someone to crank the engine over and till you see fuel escaping from the loosend pipes.

Now whilst it is still being cranked, tighten the pipes and it should now start. If not, then stop cranking, switch ignition off and on and let glowplugs heat before cranking again.