Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Vauxhall zafira..cooling..warning light..tickover

Customer Question

vauxhall zafira 2.2 di cooling warning ligh and service warning light have come on and the engine tickover is irratic what could cause this?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The first thing you should do is check the water / coolant level ..and see if its low ..If it is , top it up - run the engine..... check periodically the level and top up if needed - and look for leaks as the engine gets hotter... Get it right up to temperature...

From what you have described, it does sound like it has suffered coolant loss for some reason - so check that first and deal with it as you find...

Also - before you run the engine - check the oil level - and top that up as needed. Check its condition too - checking that it does indeed look like oil - and that its not grey in colour indicating water in the oil.. Check for oil n the water tank to while you are doing..
If you do have grey oil or oil in the water - this will indicate headgasket or similar problems and that would need further investigation....

So work through the above and let me know if you need more help. Loss of coolant etc will cause the problems that you have described... once topped up and any leaks corrected - the running etc will return to normal but you need to start by doing that / working through as above..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.