Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

i have a xsara picasso 2.0 hdi, that keeps cutting out on

i have a xsara picasso 2.0 hdi, that keeps cutting out on me when i slow down at junctions, traffic lights, or parking up .have trouble trying to restart, been into local garage who cant seem to find a problem this time they put in yet another fuel treatment and a new fuel filter seemed better initially but start dieing on me again this morning but did start better when air conditioning is kept turned off this has been happening over the last 2 years but very bad the last 4 months or so. desperate lady driver really needing help. thankyou.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

There 's a couple of things that could be causing this -- common issues with these..
You dont mention if you have had any proper diagnostic testing done on your vehicle - as in a proper diagnostic test - a machine hooked up to the on board diagnostic port...

This is done to retrieve any fault codes that may be stored on the ecu's memory ( engine management computer ) and this is an excellent way - and a first step - to narrow down faults such as you have..

Also too - if no codes are found to be present - the next step on these systems is to carry out fuel pressure tests... On these engines , the fuel pressure has to be maintained at a constantly high set pressure...if it drops below a certain pressure, the you get starting or cutting put problems... and again, this is a common issue with these -- so these testing routines do need to be done - either at a local garage - but the garage must have proper , suitable diagnostic equipment for your systems - or, a local dealer who does have the equipment..

Common issues that cause such problems that you have are faulty pressure sensors and faulty pumps... and the only way of testing for this is as above Im afraid..

So do that .... that needs to be your next step on this one...to have the proper diagnostic routine carried out... and that will find your faults for you ..
You / the local garages cannot guess at the faults... the parts can be very expensive , so it gets expensive if they change parts etc in the hopes that they have it right...and guessing like that is just not a viable option on these modern diesels. They have done the right things though in doing the basic service items..but as that has not sorted the problem... you do need to progress as above now and as I say, that will get to the source of the problems for you and then you can progress from there..

So thats the nest step on this one for you ....

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time and knowledge ...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they where supposed to have run a diagnostic check a couple of months ago but didnt find anything i will go back and check with them and get them to do it again or the fuel pressure test which is what i thought was the problem in the first place. thankyou
Hi again... Thank you for your reply...

They may have done a diagnostic test back then - its hard to know - but you need to have an up to date one done as you have the issues again now..

Just ensure they do have the "proper" equipment to do this for you ...general generic fault code readers - which a lot of small garages still use, are no good on your vehicle....and they certainly won't do the pressure testing for you.... those machines are just not able to do that ..
I just want you to be sure you are getting a proper job done for you - so you will need to ask what equipment they are using ..and if its professional units..

From what you have described - you will find the problem that way - but I cannot stress strongly enough the need to use proper , professional equipment on this car...

Let me know if I can do anything else for you or if you need any more help ..

Please don't forget to press the accept button if we are done .... as thats how I get credited for my time / help etc...
You can always contact me should you wish / need to ...just by using the Reply button and I will get your reply...

Best Rgds to you ...

MIKE