Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I have a warning light on the dashboard of my Mercedes CLK

I have a warning light on the dashboard of my Mercedes CLK 230. The car is a 2003 model.

The light looks like an engine.

Can you recommend a mechanic in London UK (Greenwich).

Thanks.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The light that you have had come on is an EML - Engine Management warning light... basically it has come on because the Engine Management Computer - ECU..has detected a fault somewhere in the management systems and so flicks the light on to warn you if the fact..

Im afraid its not so much a case of finding a mechanic - but finding a mechanic / garage, that has the suitable diagnostic equipment that can connect to your cars' diagnostic socket , therefore connecting with the ECU ..and be able to read / scan the fault code memory to find out why you have this warning light on.

Not all garages have suitable equipment - especially for the Benz range - so you may have to ring round a couple or so to find one that has. Obviously any local Benz dealer will have the equipment - and to just do a FCR - Fault code read - they are not to bad on price...especially bearing in mind that their equipment is dedicated to your car.

So you could select that option just to have the diagnostic done - find out what the fault is / reason for the light being on, and then if you wish, depending on prices quoted, have a local garage with cheaper labour rates fix the fault - which nine times out of ten is a simple sensor fault / renewal...

Or - if you use this site here... www.yell.com - which is internet yellow pages , you can put in a search for a garage local to you ( as London is a big place ! ) ...and one that does card diagnostics ( enter that in your search box ) and then arrange to have it looked at there...

That needs to be the next step though - to have the ECU fault code read whichever way you choose personally and then you can progress from there based on the results of the test...

Let me know if you need any more help / wish to discuss it further at all...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time and knowledge ...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.