Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Ford Focus Cmax Zetec 2004 is over revving when idling

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The problem you describe could be caused by a couple of different things so we will look at these...

Have the engine running - and then look around the engine bay and listen for any hissing - indicating air being sucked. Take a hold of all the pipework in turn and gently pull and twist them to see if you find any split or perished pipes etc - especially the smaller bore pipes but check them all -- Any such problems will cause what you describe - so if you find anything like that - rectify the problem howsoever and then retry.

If all is ok in those area then the problem is going to be with the ISCV ... this is the Idle Speed Control Valve.. also known as the IAC - Idle Air Control valve..

This is located just under / near the ignition coil... You can try cleaning it out - they often respond well to cleaning as they get coked up inside.

You will need to remove it off the engine then give it and its ports a really good clean using a proprietary spray cleaner or even petrol will work fine.... refit it and retry it.
As I say, that often works fine but if not , you will have to renew it as the definitive answer to the problem.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time and knowledge ...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.