Carl
Carl, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Nuclear engineer 4 years, Currently Self Employed Mobile Mechanic
10939507

2003 kia sedona: garage..timing belt..2.9 crdi..anyone give..diagrams

Customer Question

i work in a garage and one of my techs is going to replace the timing belt on my 2003 kia sedona 2.9 crdi, can anyone give me the instructions and diagrams please?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA.com

This should help your tech.
Cheers Carl
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi Carl, many thanks for coming back to me, my engine is type KJ and is a common rail engine, not the old type TD, are you sure these diagrams are applicable to my car? Also, the bottom image of the two, is that the only page? (sorry to be a pain, i work for Audi, and am used to different engine variations being slightly different from the next one and want to be sure the diagrams are spot on.) Cheers.
Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.
This is for type J3 for some reason I haven't got KJ on my autodata. If I can find anything I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, no worries, just need to be sure. Thanks for your help and will await your reply. I am having it done on saturday so no rush. Cheers, Andrew.

Oh, if you need any Audi data, give me a shout.

Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.
Cheers!,
I just joined a kia forum and they can't get hold of it!
Either me or another expert will get back to you!
Carl
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
many thanks Carl, much appreciated. Looking on the eurocarparts website, they list a basic diagram, much the same as yours but without the timing marks, so gut feeling is, its much the same as the J3 engine layout, I may plead with Kia down the road from em and see if they can help too, but any info you find will be most usefull, cheers, andrew.
Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.

Member Since: November 15 2008
Posts: 218
Location: grimsby, United Kingdom
sent: April 27 2009 at 6:06pm Delete Reply To Private Message
Do NOT Report Report To Management Report and Block Sender What is this?

General
Always check the timing marks before timing belt removal
View Full Image
Before disconnecting the battery cable, check the audio system security code
Removal
Disconnect the battery
Remove the radiator upper hose
Remove the fuel filter unit
Note: Do not disconnect the hoses
Remove the engine mount
View Full Image
Remove the bracket
View Full Image
Remove the right front wheel
Remove the air-conditioning drive belt
Remove the ancillary drive belt
Remove the ancillary drive belt tensioner
Remove the coolant pump pulley
Remove the crankshaft pulley
Remove the timing cover(s)
Align the timing marks
View Full Image
Loosen the tensioner
Remove the tensioner
View Full Image
Remove the timing belt
Check the gearwheels, tensioner and idler(s) for damage and wear
Renew if necessary
Installation
Check the timing marks
View Full Image
Fit the timing belt
Fit the tensioner
View Full Image
Adjust the tensioner
View Full Image
Align the marks on the tensioner
View Full Image
Tighten the tensioner 23.5 Nm
Rotate the engine 2 rotations by hand
Align the timing marks
View Full Image
Check the tensioner
View Full Image
Repeat the procedure if required
Fit the timing covers
Refit the crankshaft pulley 373 - 392 Nm
Refit the coolant pump pulley 17.6 - 28.4 Nm
Fit the ancillary drive belt tensioner
Fit the ancillary drive belt
Refit the air-conditioning drive belt
Refit the right front wheel 88 - 108
Fit the bracket 36.2 - 53.9 Nm
View Full Image
Refit the engine mount
Refit the fuel filter unit
View Full Image
Refit the radiator hose(s)
Refill the cooling system: refer to "lubricants" for specifications and capacity
Check for leaks
Reconnect the battery earth cable
Torque settings
Tensioner: 23.5 Nm
Timing covers 6.9 - 9.8 Nm
Coolant pump pulley: 17.6 - 28.4 Nm
Special tools
Special tools are not required
This is what you need
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Carl, many thanks for the second attempt. Doesnt look too bad a job to do.Cheers XXXXX XXXXX Andrew.

Oh, if you need any of Audi info, let me know and i will forward you my works and home emails so i can send you what you need. Cheers, Andrew.

Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.
Auto-andy takes the credit for this one as I didn't have the info on the KJ engine.
The engine does look quite easy to do but as you know, all you need is a few bolts to snap or sieze and the small job turns into hours of blood, sweat and tears!
I'm not allowed to give out personaI info which is a shame as I do some work for a guy with an a3 so if something came up and I didn't have the data it would be have been usefull. Cheers Carl
Carl, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Nuclear engineer 4 years, Currently Self Employed Mobile Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no worries Carl, much appreciated for all your help, will accept now so you can get paid, cheers Andrew.
Expert:  Carl replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!!