Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

How do I change the alternator belt on a 1999 Daewoo matiz

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.

On the alternator mounting to the engine there are some slotted holes, loosen off the bolts in these holes and the bottom bolt upon which it can then swing the alternator in towards the engine and slip the belt off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Matt

I'm told you need to remove the power steering belt 1st to be able to remove the alternator belt - is this the case?

Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.

The alterantor belt is the one closest to the engine so the power steering belt does pass in front of it, so yes you'll have to remove it as well, if you have air-conditoning that belt will also have to come off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Matt

1st time I have used this service.

I have no mechanical knowledge at all - Bought the 1999 Matiz for just £450 and it's in extremely good condition for age. (the guy I bought it off was absolutely skint, couldn't get a bank loan & wanted some quick cash for his holiday - 11 month MOT with 48,500 miles (with previous MOT's supplied) new pads & discs 4 months ago and new tyres all round 3 months ago - so I can't really complain!)

Have been getting an intermittent screeching noise in damp/wet weather which sounded very much like a slipping fan belt - hence my questions.

A friend of mine is a Fiat tech & is going to change the belt for me on Saturday - might be an idea to put a new PAS belt on as well whilst they're both off as both belts cost very little.

Thanks for your help - i have pressed the "accept" button

Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.
Glad to be of service