Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My car is pulling to the left and if i let go of steering wheel it

my car is pulling to the left and if i let go of steering wheel it vears to left. Is this serious and what could it be
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

You do need to get it checked out - it could be the tracking is out and needs re aligning - It could be that you have a worn ball joint or bush somewhere in the suspension / steering -
It could be a spring or a shock absorber problem...

Too - binding brakes can cause this - so its all going to need to be checked properly...

Or , it could just be you have an under inflated tyre - incorrect tyre pressures... Obviously you can check them yourself easy enough first job.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi again its brake havnt been binding and work perfect as they are new.

ball joint/brush/suspension/shock absorber this sounds expensive.

do i need to take it to a specialist and at what sort of cost roughly do you think it could cost the cars not worth alot its a first time driver banger. Rover214

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Its not likely to be expensive to be honest.... its likely to be something small - but I had to give you the overall view of everything that it could be - but its not going to be all of them ;)

I would suggest you go to a garage forecourt and make sure all the tyre pressures are correct first - if you out them as per chart - or your handbook - or as a general rule on your Rover - 28 - 30 psi all round... If you find any one well down - even by 4- 5 psi - that can cause pulling...

But if that doesn't sort it - just pop in to an mot station - or a trusted garage and ask them to check it over for you - and if they see nothing wrong -- then have the tracking checked. In that order...... its no good having the tracking done if you have worn ball joints etc as before...

You could take it to a kwik fit type tyre centre for these checks - but be careful - you may want to try a couple for opinions - as some places tend to like to just sell you parts - ie, shock absorbers - brakes - etc etc ...

Check the condition of your tyres too... in case of any problems , like un even wear etc - that would cause it too...

If you follow through as above - you will get it sorted soon ;)

Best Rgds...MIKE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much mike you have been a great help, as you can tell im not much of a car person and im a new driver.

best regards

joanne