Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

how to open a bonnet on a 03 vw passat cable out of place

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

If the cable has not actually fully detached - then as you pull the cable grip - get an assistant to push down and pull up on the edge of the bonnet.... that often works.

If it is detached for sure then when this happens , its never easy to sort out - Some are easier than others - but they are always somewhat difficult...and you have to treat each one pretty much on its own merits.

To start with - get a good torch and see what you can see through the grill - ( if yours is the model with a grill and not the folded over bonnet type ) ... If its the grill type -you can usually see through there the run of the cable -- Remember which side the cable runs from - ie, inside the car from the handle - and then what you need to do is use long tools - usually long screwdriver or similar - and aim to shift the lock over to the side of the car that the cable would normally pull - Have someone with you if you can to get a hold of the edge of the bonnet to ease it very slightly up and down while you are working.

If you cannot access it through the grill - then the other way is to raise the front of the car - drop the bottom under panel , if still fitted - and then working up between the radiator and the front - Look to get a hold of the latch the same way as previously described...

On some you can actually get a hold of the whole cable and pull it to one side... thus releasing the catch - again - in the same direction as normal operation - and again, with someone easing the edge of the bonnet up and down...

With one of those methods you will manage it... fiddly and awkward but that is how its done...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.