Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I just bought a 91 Hilux Surf with a 2.4 D. automatic. Runs

Customer Question

I just bought a 91 Hilux Surf with a 2.4 D. automatic. Runs very rough on start up, smokes blue/white, stops smoking when warm. However, seems to stutter/miss when you let off the accelerator and step on it again, just for a second or two, but engine "misses" at any speed when you do this. It's imported from Japan and I'm in Calgary , Alberta. There is a huge difference in altitude, is it possible that the engine somehow needs to be recalibrated for our altitude?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer.

Your vehicle is the same as a USA market 4-runner.

Does your truck have a 2.4 L GASOLINE engine (labeled 22-re)??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it's the diesel engine. 84,000 kms on it, I have a Kawasaki quad (Japanese) that I bought new in 07 and it had problems with the carb jetting for the altitude, that's why I'm curious about the 3000 ft difference in altitude on this diesel. There are no jets in a diesel though, so I don't know how you'd adjust the fuel/air mixture, other than adjusting the injector pump if that's possible. I don't know how, or if it's able to be done.
I'm going to move your question to the Uk car category then, they may have more information on the world market vehicles there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just bought a 1991 Hilux Surf 2.4l toyota diesel. 84,000km from Japan, imported to Calgary. Current temp around -10C to +10C outside. Oilpan heater works, pluged into timer for 4hrs before startup in the morning. Only had this vehicle for a few days. On start up, it runs really rough, missing, sputtering until warm. Also grey/blue smoke, sounds like its flooding. When warm, smoke stops, but rough running engine contiues whenever you depress the accelerator. It has a couple seconds of "sputtering" then it speeds up. Thought about turbo lag, not sure. Also thought about it being from Japan and all the factory settings being for sea level and Calgary Alberta, Canada (+3000 ft sea level) may be having an affect on the air/fuel mixture. Is it a possibility that you can adjust the air/fuel mixture through the computer or injector pump or is it something to do with the size of injector nozzles that could be changed or am I not even close to what it might be. As a side note, I noticed when opening the fuel tank to fill, a sizeable vaccum of air was noticed going into the tank. So I tried driving it with the cap really loose to see if it made a difference, but it actually ran worse. Thought about a vacuum lock in the fuel tank as well. I don't know. What do you think? Or is there some simple thing I can do to test something out and see if it improves. -Also added very expensive injector cleaner from the toyota dealer, ran it through one tank and it actually seems to be running worse now. Again this is leading me to think it's something to do with the size of injector nozzles or air/fuel mixture. Help!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...UK.

Can I just ask - what mileage do you have on your Toyota ?

Do you have any service / repair history / paperwork with the vehicle??

This will just help me to help you....

Rgds , MIKE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually 84,000km. However, took it to a good mechanic friend of mine (40 yrs as a journeyman), he took it for a drive and in his opinion, the fuel pump is worn out and lacks pressure at low rpm to give enough fuel to run, hence the stuttering when you let off the pedal and let it drop a few hundred rpm and step on it again. Also, possible problems with the injectors, that's all I wanted to know, a recalibrated pump and new injectors on a 2.4 toyota diesel is very expensive and can cause neverending headaches, so I decided to take it back and talked the dealer into trading me for a 1997 Toyota 4runner LTD. More kms, but it's a 3.4 V6 GAS engine and felt and looked alot better to drive. So, I don't need the answer to the question anymore, thanks anyways. Have a nice day.