Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

hi, my car suddenly cut out while driving and all the dash

Customer Question

hi, my car suddenly cut out while driving and all the dash lights (oil, engine management battery etc) went off. while standing at the front of the car having a look around i heard power come on to my heater fans and other stuff so got back in the car to try and start it. first turn of the key and all the dash lights lit up but when the ignition key turned one more time to start the vechicle it will not even attempt to start and all the dash light go out?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  baddad1 replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! I would start by jumping the car. It sounds like the battery has gone dead. If the car will jump start, you need to have the charging system and battery tested. You may also have a bad connection at the battery, but it still needs to be checked. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a brand new battery and ive still got full power on everything
Expert:  baddad1 replied 5 years ago.
OK. I am sorry, I did not see the entire post at first. I will opt out so the other experts can have a look. I am not familiar with your model. Sorry
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Your post has been moved to the Uk section now.

The Astra that you have suffers with electrical problems / faults with the electrical section on the very rear of the ignition barrel. Sometimes you even see smoke coming up from the ignition area.

This controls all the power from the ignition and it would seem evident from what you describe that you have this problem.

The part is fairly easily replaced and a common part that the Vauxhall dealers keep in stock usually because of that fact.

To replace the said part - you need to remove the plastic cowling from around the ignition and once you have the new part in your hand - you will see exactly how the old one is removed and the new one fitted.

As a further thought --to be sure - check all the wiring under the bonnet - and especially the connections to and from the battery - Check too the earth strap - from the battery to the engine and the engine to the body.

Note - a common failure on these too -is the braided earth strap that connects the engine to the body. You can find this by looking down on the battery side of the engine bay - look at the very end of the gear box - and you will see the earth strap that connects on the end of the gearbox and then to the body. The braided strap usually falls to bits and breaks. If you find that strap to be at fault - that will be your fault. Fit a new engine to body earth strap.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds,.... MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget..........

PS...Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given- as thats how I get paid ;)

Feedback is always appreciated too... Thank you .

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks mike it was the ignition switch fitted a new one today and it started first time! thanks again for ur help.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Excellent -- Very pleased to have been able to help you and Thank You for letting me know the result....

Thank you too for using me and justanswer.... Please come back again anytime..

All the best... Kind Rgds... MIKE