Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

HOw do you change the spark plugs on a renault scenic 2000

Customer Question

HOw do you change the spark plugs on a renault scenic 2000?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pragueress replied 7 years ago.
Why hasn't anyone tried to help you with this one yet? Help me to help you. Can you see the plug wires? Does the car have a distributopr or DIS ignition? If it does use plug wires can you trace thaem down to ht e plugs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not sure about your question but I guess DIS ignition. The cables to spark plugs don't look like others solid round cables I have seen before on distributor engines.

I see some wires (2-leads in plastic cover) going ontop of the engine (large plastic cover) to four connectors which I assume are the sparkplugs. The plastic connectors however connect to four plastic housings situated ontop the engine vertically about as big as sparkplugs and cover the whole plugs so you cannot see them. Appears that you may have to remove these plastic housings with a tool before you can get to the sparkplugs, is this really correct? Or can you wiggle/turn the plasic housing loose by hand force? Don't want to break plastic piece though..

Some forum recommends to remove the large plastic cover ontop of the engine first but that also has other connectors and gaswire mounted on it so I hesitate doing this unless I am sure.

Can it really be that hard to change sparkplugs on a car?? I have done this many times on many other cars before..

New cars with DIS, or distributorless ignitin can be hard. The labor time for sparkplugs on an Infinity Q45 is 8 hours!

It sounds like your car uses DIS eith a coil over design, meaning there is an ignition coil over each spark plug. Carefully see what it takes to remove that plastic assembly off the plug. See what tool is required and work carefully, as they may not separate and this is why you would instead take off the whole plastic cover.

Please remember to hit the accept button and let me know how you make out

Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Hi..

To change spark plugs...

1. Remove grey renault cover

2. Undo multi plugs on each coil (black cylinder type coils)

3. Remove retaining bolt from each coil then pull coil out once bolts removed.

4. With a suitable extention/ratchet & correct sized long reach spark plug socket which should have a rubber insert to grab the end of the plug when removing.if you don't have one? use a magnetic screwdriver or similar to remove the plugs. Refitting is in reverse of order off removal.

Hope this helps.

Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK