Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

EML..I lost power but could still drive

The EML light has come on on my dash. I lost power but could still drive. It then went off and the power came back. It's now come on again (after an overnight rest) and again, there's no power. The exhaust emissions light has also come on and stayed on during this time. Can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Your EML light indicates that a fault has been stored within the ECU. What will need to happen to gain a better idea as to whats going'll need to have the car hooked up to a relevent BMW diagnostic machine. any indapendant should be able to carry this out if the dealer is to expensive. But by the sounds of what you say regarding exhaust emmissions could well be a oxygen sensor fault thus no signal being sent back to the ECU which alters you fuel air mixture in turn effects the emissions.The lack of power which you experiance is the car going into "limp mode" when the fault occurs.