Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Hi, I have a 2004, 2.0TD, HDi Volvo S40, which has suddenly

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2004, 2.0TD, HDi Volvo S40, which has suddenly developed an intermittent( can run ok for days then fault appears, sometimes for several attempts at starting, then disappears) only at start, hot or cold, a very very very loud knocking/rattle from gearbox/flywheel area. Sounded like the dual mass flywheel. Changed flywheel and clutch, still the same. Have now noted that when noise is present, if the clutch is dipped the noise disappears and it is apparent that the engine is running very rough and is not rotating smoothly, causing it to snatch, and causing the transmission noises. If engine restarted, fault usually disappears and runs ok drives well. No excessive exhaust smoke, fault present or not. No error codes being logged, live data looks good. Replaced crank sensor behind crank pulley (pulley ok) in case of distorted trigger pulse, fault still present. No 1 cylinder injector has very slight “leak off” whilst offers or dry. Test driving the car revving hard through the gears, shows good performance and no noises. Have noted that from a cold start, the engine cranks for 2-3 seconds before it fires, but runs ok when it does fire.
Any ideas? Bernard.

Further testing has shown that this problem can be related to cranking speed. If the battery is 100 % charged then it starts on first revolution of crank, but if continued cranking is attempted to bring on the fault, starting gets less instant, and after about 20-30 tries, about 6-8 revolutions before it starts, initial idle(4-8 seconds) is slightly noisy. But if you continue, the fault then becomes apparent, whilst cranking is still reasonably quick, and starting should still be good, the very rough idle then occurs and if any throttle is applied it gets horrendous and continues until ignition off. Try again, and it usually runs ok!

Battery load test is very good and this vehicle is fitted with a large battery, charging ok, starter current draw is normal, all battery connexions and earths good, approx 20mA quiescent current drain.

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

After reading your excellent fault description ( I wish everyone was as diligent Surprised)... I have to wonder if you have a fault DMF .. even though its new... you will know that you get faulty parts now and again.

Also... there is a specfic way to fit these DMF's - I dont know if you know that or not but they have to be aligned to marks... if thats not been done , that would be a problem....

Those are my initial thoughts on this one - and quite happy to work through it with you.... let me know if the above rings any of your bells ! ;)

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX helps you~Let me know if you need more help...

Kind Rgds...MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>>Please don't forget....

PS~ Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - Thank you . Thats how I get paid for my time ;-)

Feedback is always appreciated too