auto-andy
auto-andy, technician & lecturer
Experience:  28+ year experience cars, trucks & bikes
13638124

The dealer discovered it was something to do with the hard top

Customer Question

my streetka 's battery kepps going flat. Last time this happened the dealer discovered it was something to do with the hard top. What is causing ths and how is this fixed ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  auto-andy replied 7 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA

I cannot give you a direct answer to your question but i could give you tips on testing the vehicle if you can use a test lamp.

So my question to you is can you or a friend use a test lamp and do you have one that has a 12 volt 5 watt bulb, such as an old side light bulb and holder?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry to sound girly but what is a test lamp? Please tell or show me a picture of what it is and what to do with it me what to do with it and I'll do my best to follow instructions. I assume it is something to do with checking if a current is going somewhere it shouldn't. THe garage have suggested the boot security system might not be working and that would make the alarm go off continuously but so quietly that you can't hear it. Sounds a bit odd to me. Why would the alarm be so quiet that you can't hear it defeats the purpose surely? AS you can tell I am mechanically uninformed but feel the garage is taking advantage of this possibly to load the bill.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  auto-andy replied 7 years ago.

Hi

The test light is a bulb holder with a 12volt 5 watt bulb and 2 wire off it. If you could get hold of a car side repeater lamp,bulb and wire (scrap yard) you can then diagnose the fault by disconnecting the battery earth lead (negative) first then live (positive)lead

connect the test light cables 1 to the live battery terminal 1 to the live cable.

reconnect battery earth(never try to start with test light connected)

The bulb will glow indicating a drain (if you open the door or switch anything on it will glow even brighter)

Now go to the fuses and disconnect 1 by 1 (engine bay next to battery and dash near steering wheel) if the light goes out that is the circuit with a drain.

Now most circuits are covered by fuses but the alternator and starter are not. If you don't find a fuse to put the light out i will explain how to check these.

Hope this helps. Please let me know