Ask Jaguar Master Technician Your Own Que...
Jaguar Master Technician
Jaguar Master Technician, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  8 years on Ford. Master Technician on Land Rover & Jaguar. Experience on Mazda, Rover, Audi also.
10386734

Jaguar x type: reg..the glow plug light flashing, it wudnt start..mins

my jaguar x type is a 53 reg and a 2.o d, last night it cut out in the middle of the road with the glow plug light flashing, it wudnt start again, just turned over fast like no fuel. after 5 mins rest it started up and went fine for ten mins then repeated problem again.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Jaguar Master Technician replied 8 years ago.

hi there

I would suggest that you get it to a dealer as soon as you can.

We are having many issues with these at present i am finding.

Some turbos, some fuel pumps, some injectors.

What they will do is plug it in - read the fault codes - my guess is you have a fueling issue.

I changed a set of injectors on vehicle this week.

If you know a good independent garage they could plug in with there equipment also and retrieve some fault codes.

If they get a code - p2288 - which says fuel pressure to high. - dont let them fail the fuel pump.

Check the fuel filter has good flow - possibly replace it.

Carry out an injector leak off test - with engine running for 4 minutes. - if any injector has a leak off between 15 and 20ml - then replace it accordingly. - it will need to be programmed to the vehicle then though using Jaguar IDS.

As money is very tight at the moment in the uk - i would advise try fitting a new fuel filter - but make sure you bleed it up first or fil the filter with fuel before fitting or you will run the High Pressure pump dry and cause permanent damage.

If this does not fix your issue - take it to get the codes read and go from there.

where ever you y take it - request they read codes only - and then advise you what they think it is or what further investigation is required before they carry on. ie - they are not to proceed past code read without your authorisation. this will stop them from spending your money with out you having control.

kind regards