Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

hi,i have a ford transit connect and the battery warning light

Customer Question

hi,i have a ford transit connect and the battery warning light keeps coming on intermitently,i have checked the charge to the battery and that is fine the dash lights also go out and the rev counter drops to zero for about 5 seconds,when the headlights are on they also flicker,when all the dash lights go out the headlights and everything else works fine,have you any knowledge in this field of problem
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Can I just ask, what year is your Transit ?? and what mileage do you have on it?

If you can come back to me with that info - I will be in a better position to help you..

Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the year of the transit connect is 2004 and it has covered 100,00 miles
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Thank you for getting back to me. Actually , as I posted the info request - I think you were adding to your post under "already tried" ;)

Ok.. Your Connect s' charging system is actually ecu controlled - in that its not like the "old style" arrangements whereby you have a direct charge from the alternator to the battery and thats that - With this system, as I say, its ecu controlled and as such the signals go through the ecu (computer control unit) on the van... so its not easily diagnosed without specialised equipment I'm afraid.

The Transit Connect dashes are not really known for being problematic - unlike a lot of others... so I don't believe the problem will be there to be honest.

On reflection and in line with the above - I feel you are going to have to have the van connected to a diagnostic machine.... that will identify the faults for you as its capable of Live Data reading if no fault codes exist and that will "see" whats going on electronically, thus highlighting the problem.

It doesn't have to be a dealer -- ring around your local garages and ask who has the relevant equipment to test the ecu / systems for you...many have it nowadays...so that may be cheaper option for you... but that is the way forward on this one....

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• Please don't forget....

PS~ Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - Thank you . Thats how I get paid for my time ;-)

Feedback is always appreciated too