Ask Jaguar Master Technician Your Own Que...
Jaguar Master Technician
Jaguar Master Technician , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  8 years on Ford. Master Technician on Land Rover & Jaguar. Experience on Mazda, Rover, Audi also.
10386734

Mazda 6 Diesel with DPF 2007 model, if I change oil myself

Customer Question

Mazda 6 Diesel with DPF 2007 model, if I change oil myself is it true that the engine management system has to be told an oil change has taken place to prevent the check engine light coming on. If the light does come on can it be reset with a simple diagnostic tool or with a Mazda only computer?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Jaguar Master Technician replied 7 years ago.

hi there

you can change the oil yourself.

i dont believe there is a service light for these models.

only a DPF light.

the dipstick has an extra cross on it. if the oil level comes to this height - you must drain and fill with fresh oil as it will be contaminated with diesel fuel, caused by DPF operation.

if the DPF light comes on - you have to take it to a dealer to have the vehicle plugged in and possibly have the DPF additive replenished.

You have to take it to a Mazda Dealer. No other diagnostic tool will do the job. The information will not be released to aftermarket sectors yet as the technology is so new at present. The additive is also dangerous to handle and should never be inhaled.

kind regards

jagman uk

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Because I believe the mazda 6 DPF does not require any additive to work, it uses diesel to burn off the soot and therefore the answer is not totaly useful. I would like a current mazda technician to answer.

Hello again.

up until January end 2008 - i worked on mazda's in a Mazda Dealer. The company i worked for - i worked on Jaguar, MAZDA, Land Rover, Rover, Citroen, Mitsubishi & LDV. We sold all of these vehicles through our Franchise departments.

ALL DPF systems use diesel to operate !

However only Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Landrover use systems which do not require additive to be added to the system. They are over £30,000 to £80,000 plus per vehicle hence the DPF system is much more advanced and cuts service costs for the ownerd.

The DPF system on Citroen, and Mazda, use additive which needs to be replenished on demand. this varies depending on driver patterns.

Your MAZDA 6 Diesel DOES NEED additive. Check your hand book that came with the vehicle and all the information will be in there.

Regards

Jagman UK

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Jagman, I don't have any info in the handbook so suspect the handbook is not the most up to date version. I've read so much rubbish on the mazda forums I just need a definative answer which you have given me. By the way I don't think your profile mentions you have worked on Mazda's hence the confusion by me. Once again thanks.

Thank you for the accept.

Give your local Mazda Dealer a call, and im sure they will confirm the situation. They will have to carry out the work im afraid - as the additive is dangerous to inhale fumes from. The vehicle may have to be forced by the IDS machine to activate a DPF regeneration cycle. Plus clear the system of any relative fault codes.