Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I have a Vauxhall Zafira diesel 2.0 I have trouble starting

I have a Vauxhall Zafira diesel 2.0 I have trouble starting it all the time when I eventually get it going theres a big plume of smoke out the back, one it starts its ok. I have taken it to 3 garages incl a vauxhall dealership put it on a computer thingy it says there's nothing wrong glow plugs have been replaced 2 xs and another really big job was done to its cost over £1000 so far I can not afford to change it a mate had the same problem with exactly same car she got rid of it can you help???????????? Sylvia Shaw
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to justanswer....

Theres one or two things that could be wrong with this - but as you say its had the "computer thingy" done ( diagnostic test ;) and not come up with anything - that virtually rules out all the electronics and takes us back to the fuel system - which is the most problematic area on these....You don't give the mileage or its service history - but Im sure this is where we are at.

I dont know why you have had -made to have - the glow plugs done twice- they rarely cause problems on these Vauxhalls - but thats that..
It would be handy though to know what the thousand pound job was that you have had done - wouldn't be timing chain or something like that would it?

Vauxhall came up with "new upgraded" fuel 'spill off' piping - to cure air ingress faults on these engines - and if you havn't had that done - then you need to do so - these are the pipes that link the injectors together -- When you obtain - or have obtained - the parts , make sure you get the piping -and the "T" pieces ( because they always break on changing them) - and make sure the parts are obtained from Vauxhall dealer parts only - as they are an upgraded parts like I say.... Ordinary aftermarket parts will not do.

IF that job has been done - or you have it done and it doesn't;t cure it - then you need to have the Injector Seals replaced -- This is a more "involved" job - but again, its a common problem that causes the erratic non -start issues.

One or the other or both of the two above jobs should sort the problems for you.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~ Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - Thank you .

Feedback is always appreciated too
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
****************ACCEPT REMINDER***************

As you have viewed my answer and not asked for any more help - You now need to Press the ACCEPT So that I get paid for my time - Thank you .

Feedback is always appreciated too

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using ja.com, - You now need to Press the ACCEPT So that I get paid for my time - Thank you .

Feedback is always appreciated too