Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

HOW DO YOU FIT A FORD FOCUS STRETCH ALTERNATOR BELT?

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 5 years ago.
What year and what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2005 FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.6 PETROL

Your question is in the wrong category. I will have it moved to the UK experts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW LONG DOES IT NORMALLY TAKE FOR A REPLY?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Ukcar - Justanswer.com..

The dealy has been because you were in the wrong section - sorry ;(

Ok..your car...

One of the pulleys is a tensioner - an automatic one - and it has a nut in the middle of it..

What you need to do is get a spanner on that nut ( usually a 15mm) and press / turn it - hard - to one side - on your one it shouldbe clockwise I think -- but if it will not turn, then simply go the other way...

The whole thing will move to one side.. and thus allow you to get the belt on... but be very careful and don/t have your fingers anywhere where they may get trapped if anything goes wrong - such as the spanner slipping off the tensioner...    There is a LOT of pressure on the tensioners and it can easily happen!

As I say, once the tensioners is over - you will get the belt on and then once the belt is in place - let the tensioner go slowly and all is done ;)

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

Please leave some FEEDBACK if you have a mo.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THIS ALTERNATOR DOESN'T HAVE A TENSIONER
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi..

Can you tell me the Engine Code ?

And does your car have power steering -- and Air Con ??

Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI

THE CAR DOES HAVE POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING.

THE ENGINE CODE IS HWDB

THANKS

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi again - Thank you -

I will double check this and get back to soon as I can - but it may be later this evening...

I have a file with a diagram I will get for you too...

Rgds, MIKE
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello --

I have pulled the file on your car and this type of belt arrangement - I was going to put it on here for you to read but apparently it is too large a file to upload..

There is a paragraph that mentions a special tool that is needed to install the belts on these 06 models... and you should have that in the kit that you have bought.

If it isn't included - you need to return it and get the belt with the tool - and also full instructions are provided in the kit for the belt replacement.

I feel this is missing in what you have bought - so return and have the suppliers replace it for you and then you will be properely equipped to do the job ;-)

~~~~~~~

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI

THE TOOL WAS WITH THE BELT BUT FOUR OF OUR SKILLED ENGINEERS FAILED TO XXXXX BY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS.

IN THE END BRUTE FORCE AND A CROW BAR DID THE JOB.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO XXXXX GET ANY OTHER QUERIES ABOUT FITTING THIS BELT.

I WILL ACCEPT YOUR ADVISE, BUT SUGGEST YOU HAVE A GO AT FITTING A BELT OF THIS KIND AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
;-) Hi again Ann..

Your latter comments made me laugh in a way I can't describe on here - hence the little face!
I have fitted these - I don;t know really why you were struggling -- I really dont, not with the tool ...
Did it have the words "stretch belt " or " FEAD" on the back of the belt? if it didn't , it was the wrong belt...

Thats all I can think off that woud you give you so much trouble to be honest !

Kind Rgds to you --- MIKE

Ps... I have a crow bar and brute force "kit" too Wink
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.