Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My BMW Mini is overheating, there is no coolant leaking from

My BMW Mini is overheating, there is no coolant leaking from hoses, oil levels are normal, there is a slight hiss comming from the coolant header tank. I am losing coolant but cannot see from where as it is disapeering. Car is running normal otherwise, i.e no lose of power.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to justanswer.com...

You don;t mention the mileage - but there's a couple of things here that could be causing your problems...

Water pumps are favourite for leaking and also favourite for being very difficult to spot the leaks - as they are not easy to see and if the water is coming out as you are traveling - as they tend to - -- you see the problem.
Too - the radiator may have sprung a leak either through corrosion ( usually seen around the outer edges of the rad - between the alloy and the plastic tanks)... or a small impact. Again., difficult to spot.

What you need to have done is a manual pressure test... Most good garages have pressure testing equipment and this ups the pressure to a little over normal running pressure - but because the car is stationery - leaks can be spotted .

So , thats the thing to do now....

You may have had fan failure - but now its losing water, that is important to suss out for now - and that must be checked too.

You could have head gasket trouble - but not to jump at that -- do the pressure test first - and hopefully you wont have such troubles...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

Please leave some FEEDBACK if you have a mo.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.