Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

1996 Audi coupe: v6..Went out to it earlier and the battery was flat.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 1996 Audi coupe 2.6 v6. Went out to it earlier and the battery was flat. Jumped it off a mates car and it was idling very quick (bout 1,500 rpm). After it came up to normal temp, it didn't slow so I blipped the throttle quick to see if that disengaged the auto choke. It dropped down to 1,000 rpm but then started to jump between 1,000 and about 1,200. Left it for a minute and it continued to jump between those two rev ranges. Anybody got any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
What's the model of your 1996 Audi?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

All the log book says is coupe e.
OK, I don't have information on that particular engine. I am in American market.

I will opt out, so that another expert may have what you are looking for can come along and help you. Sounds like it needs a relearn though, with the battery going dead and all.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi & Welcome to ja.com -- UK car section!

Make sure the battery is charged right up - and that the charging system is working as it should...

Then , run the engne for a few minutes at 2500, rpm -- then drop the revs to 1500 rpm , then drop them to 1000rpm - each time keeping the revs at that level for a few mins - 2-3 .

Then repeat the procedure again..

Then take the car on a drive - throough town - or town tyoe driving where you need to use the gears all the time changing up & down as you go -- for 3-5 mile.

That will put the ECU - computer through a complete cycle and reset after the flat battery...

IF that doesn;t work for you - you are going to have to have the car connected to a diagnostic machine to check for any fault codes - and then deal with them as found...

But try the first procdure first off...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

Please leave some FEEDBACK if you have a mo

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.