Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Automatic..that goes into Limp home mode intermittently..anyone tell

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Automatic that goes into 'Limp home mode' intermittently. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem ?

Hello & Welcome to

Are you referring to LHM with the auto gear box - or the engine? Please confirm which and then I will be able to help you properely....

Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The fault is intermittent. First the auto gearbox warning light comes on. Then at the first stop (say traffic lights) the car appears to go into LHM and has no power . I have to stop and restart the engine which restores normal power. This can happen two or three times in a 30 mile trip.

I have had a diagnostic check on the gearbox which shows reference P0730 (8) gear ratio incorrect. My garage has told me that i probably need a new computer to run the automatic gearbox or it may be the gearbox itself that needs repair.They cannot confirm that changing the computer will solve the problem if I have it done at a cost of £600 including labour.My garage hasnt seen this problem before although they are Vauxhall specialists. I'm looking for advice as to what precisely the problem may be and a viable solution.

Best regards, Steve (Customer)

Hello again Steve - and thank you for coming back to me...

This problem is 99% going to be the gearbox itself.... the gearbox is in itself , electronically controlled ( as you probably know ) and the code is saying that the gear ratios in the gearbox is wrong - so its not likely to be an ecu fault.

The garage are just covering themselves - in an either/or situation - just in case!

But thats what the computer error code is for ------

To be perfectly honest with you , you would be better off locating an Auto gearbox specialist - they deal with these thigs all the time, specifically - as opposed to the dealers seeing them just every now and then - by their own admission even..

Do that - they will be able to help you and be a lot more specific - and be able to be a lot more competitive on price usually ;)

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

Please leave some FEEDBACK if you have a mo. Wink