StokeMechanicNo1
StokeMechanicNo1 , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Btech Level 3 National Certificate, C+G level3 Apprentiship. 9 years Experiance in busy Local Garage
10715917

1997 Ford Fiesta: a while - does it mean my clutch is on the way out

Customer Question

The clutch on my 1997 Ford Fiesta has gone soft, it wil improve if I pump it but does soft again after a while - does it mean my clutch is on the way out?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  StokeMechanicNo1 replied 8 years ago.

hi there, it sounds as if air is getting into the system, if the brake fluid level is getting low it may just be that. however this is usually a sign that the slave cylinder/ clutch release bearing (its a combined unit) is on its way out, make sure when your clutch is replaced that they also replace this as it is avaliable seperatley from the clutch kit. might be an idea to get it checked out at your local garage sooner than later in case it fails altogether

hope this helps

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would the clutch be a cable one and if it is does the fluid level affect the performance
hi again,no on this model fiesta it is a hydraulic clutch setup so there is no cable fitted, if the fluid is low instead of pushing fluid down the lines to operate the cltuch it can introduce a small amount of air, this could the reason for the spongy pedal, you can check the fluid level at the brake master cylinder reservoir as the clutch and brake systems share the same reservoir. when you get it checked i would get them to check for any leaks too as this again can cause the fault you are experiancing