Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 litre turbo diesel on ...

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 litre turbo diesel on an 03 plate. My engine light is on because of diagnostic code P0230 (primary fuel pump circuit malfunction). My local dealer has replaced the fuel pressure sensor to no avail and has checked all the fuel system but cannot rectify the problem.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Hi there & Welcome to ja.com!

I would be thinking of checking the fuel pressure ! It looks to me from what you describe, that you have a fuel pump issue/problem...

May even be worth at this stage changing the filters -- Im really surprised that the dealer you are using hasn't suggested / done any of these things.....

I Sincerley hope I have helped you -- Please ask if you need further help -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

PS~Please hit ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer/advice given~ Thank You ;)

Any & All Bonuses Are Gratefully Received ~ Thank you again.

{ FEEDBACK is Always Appreciated }

0990

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Thanks for the advice. Payment on its way. As am I to my local dealer to ask some pertinent questions. Only problem is that a new fuel pump costs lots of money...nothing new there then eh?

Again thanks for your time. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much for that - I know the last time I proced a pump it didnt particulary make me smile ! How much are they nowadays?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Hi Mike,
just got back ouch.
Apparently the dealer checked the fuel filters and has found metal filings in there. Also they say they have checked the fuel pressure. Their info communications are somewhat lacking.They could have told this to my wife when she picked up my car but came up with something about not being able to find the problem & that they were getting in touch with Tecnical support for help. Seems to me that different people give different explanations?
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is they are recommending a new fuel pump / pressure regulator ( seems they can't quite decide what to call it). This is where the ouch comes in; £880 + VAT + labour. I have instructed them to get in touch with Suzuki technical support to make certain that this will be the definative answer before I give the nod to this repair.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Hello again my friend -

Ok, the fillings are a sign of fuel pump failure - and to check this you should find the same in the fuel filter -- in the bottom of the housing... it can be pretty terminal for the injector pump if those filings get past the main filter in to the pump! so the sooner that is sorted the better....... fuel pump & regulator are seperate items - I honestly feel from what you have said that its the pump as I said - I dont see the need to change the regulator --but certianly change the main filter and thoroughly clean the lines backwards from the ink pump back -- to the filter body.... Dont let them filings get in whatever you (they) do....

Let me know how you get on mate--

Rgds, MIKE