Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Ford Focus Ghia 2002 Front drivers seat armrest is ...

Customer Question

Ford Focus Ghia 2002: Front driver's seat armrest is stuck in 'up' position. how do I release/adjust... it seems to hit hard stop and only has a few inches of maneuver (backwards)
Category: UK Car
Expert:  mikey0189 replied 6 years ago.
you can unzip the cover and remove the torx screw and see whats binding it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to tech101's Post: The armrest has the seat lumbar adjustment knob on the pivot point. I don't know how to remove that. I undid the zip (eventually) and there is nothing there to access except the plastic molding under the foam. I reckon I would need to get the armrest off, (which would mean removing the lumbar adjusted wheel).. do you know how I do that?
Appreciate your help....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
The armrest has the seat lumbar adjustment knob on the pivot point. I don't know how to remove that. I have unfastened the zip and there is nothing there to access except the plastic molding under the foam. I reckon I need to get the armrest off, (which would mean removing the lumbar adjustment wheel).. not apparent as to how I do that?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to request the $15 deposit refunded as I have had no help of value and don't plan to use this service again. Please advise when this has been done - thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ---

Ive been asked by admin to see if I can help you with this -- and I will do all I can for you ... For now, can I just ask you , because there were differing ones and I want to be sure what we are dealing with ( as I can't see yours from here ) ;)-

-- does your armrest have an adjustable knob - that rotates underneath the arm rest for specific height adjustment??

Rgds, for now --- MIKE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: The arm rest on this model (and for 2003-2004 models) is only for the driver's seat. It attaches to the LHS (near-side) of the back portion of the seat and it swivels up and down (up when not in use and down is in position). The knob on the pivot point of the armrest is the driver seat lumbar adjustment and has nothing to do with the height adjustment. There is no height adjustment on this style of armrest and no knob underneath. Hope this helps..
Danny
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Hello again - please accept my apologies for the delay in replying --

I have made some enquiries for you about this issue you are having - and apparently there is no "known" issue - so basically what must have happened with your one -is that it must simply have jammed up inside -- The reason I asked you about the method of adjustment - was because I know there was a known issue with one of the sorts that caused them to lock in certain positions - but yours is not one of them...

I dont know how far you have managed to get into the seat - but you may have to get all the way in which may entail cutting the fabric - or opening it up from the bottom and un-peeling the fabric right off the seat so that you can access the frame work - then you will be able to actually see the problem thats occured - As I say, its a mechanical issue that has jammed up inside - unusual - and Ive not heard of another doing it --(not of that type anyway) - I feel you might well find something thats physically broken and locked up the workings...

Thats the very best I can do for you Im afraid - even if I could see the car seat in front of me - the advice would have to be the same --you are just going to have to get inside the seat to deal with it......

All the very best ---- Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks - however, while I appreciatre you taking the time to write a note on this, the information is not getting me to the solution. I will have to take the car to the dealer and ask them to fix the armrest. I thought it would be a fairly simple matter to take the armrest off so that I could investigate what is stopping it moving into position... (which I still reckon it must be - as I'm sure the armrest was fitted to the seat after it (the seat) was covered. Anyways, I don't feel I have had any real value from the info received, so unless you can give me instructions on how to take the arm rest off, then I won't accept the answer(s) given to date, as I am basically still at square 1.... thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Thank you for your comments...

I have given you all the info & help I can based on the info I have and what I know about these seats... If you take the car to a dealer - I can tell you now what they will say - they will tell you that the only answer is a new seat! What I have advised you is the best info you are going to get - as the dealers and many garages will not even attempt such a repair.... your original question indicated you wanted a way to fix the problem - and that is exactly what I have told you how to do.... strip the seat , locate the problem and fix it -whatever it is you find. Its not a normal/usual problem that occurs with these - so the info you have neen given, you will not find in any repair books - as I said earlier - the answer you are going to get from the dealers will be to replace the seat.

I have actually spent quite some time on this subject, trying to help you - more than most believe me -- Im sorry if you do not agree with / or like the answer... I can't help that... but in fairness for you to feel the need to withhold payment for my time is not something I can do much about - we rely on the good human nature of people to press the Accept button when they have received help - whether customers like the advice or not - the advice given - and in your case - is indeed correct and factual.

Kind Rgds......

MIKE

ja.com

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.