Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in commercial law

Having left the UK 17 years ago and emigrated I left owing

Having left the UK 17 years ago and emigrated I left owing tax of around $2,000.
We had no money and struggled to make ends meet for years. I had mail forwarded for the first 3 years in which time I received 1 request for payment which I did not respond to.

I am now wanting to travel back to the UK to visit my sick parents and am wanting to know what is likely to happen as I pass through Customs. Am I likely to be refused entry, or denied exit when I need to leave? I will be travelling on an Australian Passport as I am now an Australian Citizen
Thanks for your question. Immigration control does not monitor for debt and outstanding civil claims. The only things they check for is whether you are an Interpol wanted list or are barred for some other reason. They will not know about a 17 year old debt. It will not be an issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply and greatly appreciate the speed of your response.

Thanks have a good trip