Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience

RA - fvh

I am considering bankruptcy in England. I have lived in the rented apartment (private Landlord) for 5 years and never missed a rental payment. There is mention in the tenancy agreement that if I have Bailliffs visit or become bankrupt/IVA that the landlord can push for a court order to evict me.
What is the likelihood of my being evicted and if so how long would it take?

PS. I owe about £25,000, have no assets and, at this point have only missed 2 credit card payments in December.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question. It is quite possible that the landlord could evict you in the circumstances described in the tenancy agreement but I suspect in reality it will make little difference to the landlord considering your impeccable history of being a good tenant. The landlord is obviously concerned with tenants who do not pay or are bad tenants. You sound like neither. I doubt the landlord, from you describe, is likely to take steps to evict you. Have you thought about having a chat with the landlord before bankruptcy about your situation. At least the landlord will not be surprised if and when you go bankrupt. It gives you the opportunity to reassure him that nothing will change and you will continue to honour your obligations. The landlord may simply do nothing or ask for somebody to be a guarantor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Max

Thanks for your advice it is the same advice I was given on 'free' forums. I will, of course, notify the landlord prior to going bankrupt and take it from there.

That's great. I wish you the best of luck.

Kindly rate my service so that I am credited for assisting you. Please feel free to come back if I can help further.

Kind regards