UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

RA - ml

Customer Question

I am a british citizen in the uk. I am involved in a civil claim in the uk where i am a defendant am being sued by a Syrian national who resides in Paris with her sister and travels to and from syria and to and from the USA to visit friends and family. The court has issued a court order of 6000 pounds payable to me. The syrian national has refused to pay and I would like to make her bankrupt.

Can I make her bankrupt in the UK as she owes me that amount of money and is refusing to pay it or is it not possible because she lives abroad despite the fact she is sueing me in the uk through english lawyers ?
Category: UK Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

If this person does not live in the UK then you can not make them bankrupt here.

What you can do is get a European Enforcement Order.

This can then be transferred to France and then enforced there.

You can send in bailiffs or get a charge on property owned.

But if you want to make the person bankrupt you would need to do that in France and not the UK

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I see you have left a negative rating - what else would you like to know?