Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Good afternoon My wife & I were made bankrupt on Monday

Good afternoon

My wife & I were made bankrupt on Monday 8th October 2012. How do we stand now regarding bailiffs etc. One has put a note through our business premises letterbox threatening removal of assets. Can they still do this or am I right in thinking that the bankruptcy stops this?
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question. What kind of business are you running- Are you a sole trader, limited company or partnership? Do you say the assets belong to you or the business ? Is the business premises address different to your home address?

Max
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Retail bakery/sandwich shop/Partnership with my wife so assets are ours - business premises are different to home address

Thanks

Thank you for the additional information. Your personal assets vest in the Official receiver. If those assets in the business premises are of value the Official Receiver may sell them to raise money required to pay off your creditors. The bailiff is not entitled to take them. You should pass the bailiffs details to the Official Receiver who will contact them on your behalf.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Max