UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Dear Sir or Madam, I filed for personal bankruptcy on September

Dear Sir or Madam,

I filed for personal bankruptcy on September 28th, 2009 at the High Court of Justice in London, UK.

I was subsequently discharged after approximately 4 months without having to make any repayments at all.

Recently I ordered credit reports from Experian and Equifax and both are completely clean. No mention of previous debts/ bankruptcy/ defaults.

My rating is 'Fair' though, noting that I mistakenly neglected to put myself on the Electoral Roll when I moved home recently (a big red cross is on that section!).

I'm baffled because it is commonly known that bankruptcy stays on your file for 6 years. Please can you help to explain how this could possibly have happened (not that I'm complaining).

Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Anon
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

I agree.

Its recorded normally for 6 years from the date, together with loads of defaults on your credit file.

But I would not complain. But make sure you check:

Equifax
Call Credit
Experian

All 3 - they are £2 each as you know.

But it may be while not recorded with one, they are recorded with another.

But I dont know why it is not listed - I would not complain!

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's not listed on Experian or Equifax. I'll try Call Credit also. Baffled. Have you no explanation at all? I mean, have you ever heard of this before?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So my question therefore is that my fiancé & I would like to purchase a house. As a discharged bankrupt, am I allowed to apply for a mortgage? The house won't get seized or anything, will it? Should I be letting the receiver know that I am applying for a mortgage or let him know that my credit files are clear and ask why? Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks so much.

Discharges yes.

But a question will be have you ever entered into an arrangement with your creditors.

So you should answer yes.

I think the Court just forgot to notify.

I would also check with Registry Trust.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I am allowed to apply for a mortgage?

I couldn't understand the remainder of your answer. Prior to bankruptcy, I did attempt to pay off as much as I could physically afford per month, taking advice from CCCS, who wrote to creditors on my behalf, but the phone calls and threatening letters were overwhelming. Hence I petitioned for my own bankruptcy.

"So you should answer yes." I don't understand to what you are referring. Please clarify.

The Court forgot to notify the credit referencing agencies?

I just searched the Registry Trust. I had to input my address. I have moved but it also came back as completely clear of any judgements. Do I need to search under the address where I was living when I petitioned?

Amy

Yes you can apply for a mortgage.

If there is a question on any loan that says have you ever been made bankrupt or entered in an agreement with your creditors you need to answer yes.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice