Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Lead engineer at eoxtongasservice
98667351

I have a Cannon Coalridge gas fire, the G C N 3213258. It's

Customer Question

I have a Cannon Coalridge gas fire, the G C N(###) ###-#### It's thirty years old and the seal on the glass front has gone. Can the seal be repaired/replaced or can your find a replacement? Jeff
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a month, I am concerned it's not safe.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I am quite handy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Elliott Oxton replied 1 month ago.

Good morning Jeff, My name is ***** ***** i have worked in the plumbing and heating industry for over 18 years. I have also worked under CORGI and more recently Gas Safe working on boilers, heaters and fires like the one you are talking about.

It can be very hard to find spares for older models of any equipment. But this is especially true in the gas industry. Fires like the one you are talking about are rarely installed now a days because of the high risk they pose if they are not installed properly and maintained by a professional registered gas installer.

First of all I have to tell you that you are not aloud by law to work on this gas fire unless you are gas safe registered. Even if you own the house and you are only doing small works on the appliance. If anything goes wrong you will be liable and could go to prison. I would recommend you get a local gas safe registered installer to carry out the work for you. The link below is to gas safe where you can find approved and legal installers in your area.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

That aside, the fire place in question does not have many spares available anymore. I have found two suppliers who may be able to provide you with the correct part but unfortunately you will not find it easy to find the manufactures spare part. I hope the company below will be able to help you out a little more. If you like i can contact them for you but it may take a couple of days for me to hear back from them. Let me know if that is what you would like me to do?

http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/cannon/gas-fire/3213258.aspx

https://www.dhsspares.co.uk/catalogue/appliance/item/cannon-coalridge-stdgry-can074

I hope that this answer has helped. I would be happy to help you further so please let me know.

I have opened up an option above where you can rate my answer. Please take the time to tick what star rating you would give me. This will help me to see how i can improve on my answers for you and others in the future. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me this feedback and look forward to seeing it. We will still be able to keep in contact after you have rated me if you need any further information.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your honest reply. What you said was what I thought was the case, I didn't want to replace the fire if there was a chance it could be fixed. Rather than chase spares for a thirty year old fire I will replace it, thank you.
Just a bit of feed back, I think you mean allowed not aloud, but I know what you mean.
Jeff
Hi Jeff, thank you for the feedback. As I was writing it I was sure it wasn't correct but I had not had my coffee yet :)
Sorry that it is not better news for your appliance though. Gas fires do well to last 15 years. So the fact it has lasted this long shows you have looked after it well. I'm sure whatever you decide to get next will receive the same good treatment.
Please could you mark on my rating grade what star rating you would give me before you close this? It really helps me to receive a rating from you. Thanks again again and let me know if you have any other questions regarding the fire.
Warm regards,
Elliott