Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Whirlpool ADG 7470 dishwasher in a holiday letting.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool ADG 7470 dishwasher in a holiday letting. The green reset light is flashing eight times. Having looked at the net very detailed problems page in the manual it says the filters may be clogged or there may be something blocking the system. I've had everything out and someone has obviously broken a glass and not mentioned it. I've now actually got the machine out, turned it over, taken the pump out and found a large piece of glass where the impeller is. Put it all back together (very chuffed with myself) only to find the light is still flashing. Is there some kind of reset button or process I need to do? Cheers, Frazer.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's just over three years old and the paperwork says on it Whirlpool ADG 7470 5019 396 01961/B.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ideally as Whirlpool are going to take over a week and charge over £140, I have guests coming in and also they say it isn't guaranteed when it's done so if it goes again in a week it's another £140! I may as well buy a new dishwasher.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm fairly competent at diy but I wouldn't want to start taking the whole thing to bits.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

To reset it you need to press and hold the start button for several seconds and this will reset the electronics and should allow you to select a new cycle.

Try that and see what happens and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Already tried, did it with the reset button (the ones that's flashing), the play button and the programme button. First two make the flashing stop but as soon as you press the programme button or shut the door the flashing starts again. Just tried it again to make sure and it's not working.

Ok try this and see what happens.

Open the door and select the rinse cycle which is the first on the left.

Then turn the dishwasher off.

Press and hold the start button and keep that held in and turn the dishwasher back on.

Keep the start button held in till the start light flashes then let go.

Now press the start button once and close the door and it will then run a test cycle.

See what happens on that as it should take about 12 minuites and if its still faulty and stops then check the start light and see what the number of flashes you get from it then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing has changed. When I pressed the cycle button once for rinse nothing happened (other than the flashing above the cancel/off button). I did what you said anyway about turning off, I did this at the mains switch. As soon as I turn it back on the light just flashing 8 times straight away, no waiting for anything. The only light that is ever showing is the flashing cancel/off button and this starts as soon as I touch anything.

Ok if the error code isnt clearing or it keeps comming back again then its still picking up theres a fault in there.

8 flashes is a water indecator fault. What you can try first is remove the wooden door panel and then remove the outer metal door panel.

There you will see the wires in the loom. Open the plastic casing and then give each wire a tug one at a time and see if theres any broken wires in there.

If thats all ok then at the bottom of the sump you will see the water indecator switch. You need to remove this so twist it anti clockwise and remove it from the sump.

Then if its coved in gunge in there then give it a good clean. But if its still not working and flashing the 8 flashes then its possibley a faulty water indecator as thats what the 8 flashes refer to im afraid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've read about the water indicator being covered in gunge causing problems but there's no sign of anything in the bottom of the machine, i.e. Water indicator, not gunge. There's just a round cream coloured panel bolted up from the bottom with a cylindrical recess for the filter and a small angle hole shooting off to the side where the water eventually goes. Do I have to take the bottom cream panel out and get right underneath the machine. I had it on it's back and the bottom off to get to the pump originally and I've not yet fixed it right back in the cupboards.

Normally when its gunged up it gives error code 4 flashes rather then the 8. But if the microswitch is fauty then that can cause the 8 flashes.

If you have the bottom off still then the water indicator is located just behind the black hose at the very front.

But if you find thats all ok then im afraid its looking like a faulty control board here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is that the small white stick with a domed end? If so that looks fine. If it is the control board I take it it's better just to buy a new dishwasher. I wash certain it was the glass in the pump as there was glass in the machine and when I got the pump off there was a piece about the size of a 50p in with the fins. Looks like they've been expensive guests then.

Ok if thats fine then im afraid its looking like a control board fault.

These are very expensive im afraid as all Whirlpool spares are very expensive and when the boards fail its not really worth messing with, Sorry.