Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The dryer works for 10 mins and then it fuses the rcd switch

Customer Question

The dryer works for 10 mins and then it fuses the rcd switch on the electrics the panel. Over heating? I've just cleaned it all too.
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Bosch classixx 2011 model, little used
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I usually do, Just took the back off and heating element to clean
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Any ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The issue is not related to overheating but an over current draw or a short in the wiring. I would start by looking at all connections and wiring, looking for anything loose, melted or discolored. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it not the thermal cut out switch? I think it must get too hot perhaps, or something to do with the high humidity creating a short circuit. I will try it on a cooler setting
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

No, that would only cause it not to heat but would still run. Oftentimes, because the heater draws the most current, it can cause excessive draw and trip the fuse when connections become loose or wires melt, etc. I would look closely at that circuit from the heater to the control.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The cool setting worked, but retrying the medium hot tripped the Rcd. So you think the heater circuit. A continuity check on the heater unit, I think, would show it's ok as it heats up. But why possibly at the peak of the heating it fuses? What visual inspection can I make? Do I need to take the top lid off?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I suspect that as it heats, the current draw goes up due to a poor connection somewhere that is causing resistance. Or, a wire is heating and shorting after it gets hot. Check wiring between heater and control.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you answer my question of access, thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Sorry, I did not see that part of your question.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Machine type classixx
Bosch wte84102gb/05
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The complete service manual is below.

CLICK HERE

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've discovered that the capacitor interface part is blown. So I've ordered another. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Oh my, nice find! Very well done!