Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Miele W833. Seems to work fine (it's busy washing now) but

Customer Question

Hi, Miele W833. Seems to work fine (it's busy washing now) but "Main Wash" light has taken to flashing rapidly. Any ideas?
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Hi, Pearl, stated that at the start of the email. A Miele W833, about 15 years old I think.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, just wanted to know how to detect which component was on its way to failure so I can fix it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked the outlet filter and all is clear there.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bit of further info. Water seemed slow to heat, but did heat ok and wash completed ok. That was a 40 cotton wash. All other programmes appear to work, but haven't tested each one.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it is still working but the light is flashing, I suspect the issue may be control related. I would do two things.

1. Pour a liter of vinegar in the tub and allow one hour to pass and then start a wash cycle, no clothes.
  2. Unplug the machine while waiting for the 1 hour vinegar soak.

Does the behavior change at all when the vinegar cycle is started?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
The light is intermittent. First wash today flashing. 2nd & 3rd no problem except that clothing is more creased than normal. Will have to purchase the vinegar so it will be tomorrow before I can do that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 30 days ago.

That's okay, just post back when you are able, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 28 days ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Kelly,
I've now done the vinegar wash. As I explained the light had already cleared itself for the last couple of washes so difficult to tell if the vinegar has improved matters. However, I did notice after one of the washes the clothing came out feeling warm and it made me wonder if from time to time that the relay contacts for the heater element might be sticking. Presumably that might account for the creased clothing, would it also cause the light to flash? Just a thought.
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Kelly, seem to remember I got a holding message saying you were seeking further advice on this. Any info yet?
Regards