Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Bosch combi fridge/freezer unit is still running, but

Customer Question

Hi Pearl My Bosch combi fridge/freezer unit is still running, but inside temps are higher than it should be. The condense coil is warm-ish, but the compressor is quite hot, probably from running continuously (I assume!). Is this a classic low gas pressure issue? Louw (Cape Town SA)
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: KGN36A71ZA - about 8 years, I guess...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Nope, will have to get somebody in
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Presumably the defrost valve has been playing up for a while - again presumably - because the upper ledge of the freezer section gets so hot that the ice cubes in the top shelf melts...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

If its not cooling as it should and the compressor is hot then its usually a system fault which is low gas or a poor pumping compressor.

For either of them its a job for a fridge engineer as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work to see what pressure its pumping at.

But for the fault you describe it does sound like a classic gas fault here im afraid.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning Daniel, and thank you for the response. I spoke with a local (Cape Town SA) refrigeration technician last night, who was of the opinion that if the condenser is not frosted up, then it would unlikely be a low gas pressure problem. However, I will try to get hold of a Bosch-approved technician today to investigate/repair. Will provide feedback once this has been sorted. Thank you and kind regards Louw
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

No worries hopefully you get it sorted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Daniel
Fortunately for me, the problem did not require any specialist intervention in the end. I discovered that the concealed evaporation coil in the freezer section was completely iced up. I defrosted the unit for 24h, and it seems now to be working normally again. I have just measured the freezer compartment temperature which currently sits at -20 deg C, so I am happy.
Thank you and kind regards
PS I do not think I can give you any star rating here...