Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My SMEG oven keeps tripping the MCB when it reaches

Customer Question

Hello my SMEG oven keeps tripping the MCB when it reaches temperature and sometimes when the door is opened
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: A sticker inside the oven door indicates Model SE280X, Type 66k, No. 18225224, its an 8 function model I think about 12 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would prefer a technician to visit
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: A few oven bulbs would be handy as the ones from the shop are a bit too large, and also a spare clear cover for the hood
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

Im afraid we dont do house vists as we help people do there own repairs. Or we can help you find an engineer to call out and fix it for you.

If you want us to find an engineer for you then can you let me know your postcode please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can try my own repair. Can I test the element and replace ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, the most common cause of this fault is the heater element in there. As the elements fail to earth so as they get hot they leak to earth which then causes the MCB to trip out.

So what you need to do on this is pull the oven out onto the floor or work bench and set it going.

Once it trips out remove the back and then if you have a multi meter you need to test the heater element tags at the back and see if theres a leak to earth if you know how to.

If not then remove the wires to the heater element at the back and tape the wires up.

Turn the electrics back on and see if it stops the tripping then.

If so then you need to replace the heater element from there.

But check the heater in there as for this fault you have its nearly always down to the fan heater element that causes this fault here.