Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18 yr in home service
13202342

I have an American style whirlpool fridge freezer about14

Customer Question

Hi, I have an American style whirlpool fridge freezer about14 years old, in the last couple of months it needs defrosting every 10 to 14 days. was unsure if it may be door seals or something more serious.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: found this number if it helps S20B RBB20-A/G
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible, I manage most jobs like this.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of at the moment
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.

hi, is the frost concentrated strictly on the freezer panel or all over the freezer ? including the food itself? thx randy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First tell is changes noise and fan running a lot of the time and frost round the ice maker and sometimes on floor of freezer. When I remove panels freezer panel full of ice.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.

hi , that is not going to be a door seal issue .if the frosting is mostly on the rear panel ,thgat is a defrost issue ,the model number does not come up . the defrost heater and defrost thermostats can be checked with a meter for continuity, the heater is on the coil that is frosted ,and the thermostat is the small bulb attached to one of the lines of the coil , if one of those parts is open ,then that coil overfrosts and blocks airflow and starts affecting the cooling

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I will check both. could the small outlet valve at the bottom of the drain tube be an issue? have read that some can fail but mine just covers half the tube so unsure how this could fail.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.

if the drain frosts over ,its more of a hard ice buildup just on the floor of the freezer , you can test that by pouring hot water on that drain trough and insure it drains propely