bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

My Bosch classixx slimline dishwasher (SRS55C02GB) is not

Customer Question

My Bosch classixx slimline dishwasher (SRS55C02GB) is not working properly. It fills with water, trips the float chamber, then drains a bit. The spray arms never rotate. The check water light stays on and the whole cycle just grinds to a halt. If I press the reset button the machine empties itself of water. Have checked the pump - it's OK. Have checked the water inlet - it's OK. Have checked the float chamber - it's OK. Have checked the water inlet valve - it's OK.
This is a machine that I put into storage for 5 years about 6 months after I bought it so although it's oldish it's actually really clean and like new.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

After it initially pumps out and then starts to fill with water do you hear a hum from the base area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK I need you to take of the side panel and check that the circulating pump (not the drain pump) is not seized. What should happen is that shortly after it starts to fill it will start to circulate the water.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whereabouts is the circulating pump? (if you mean the part that is covered by the left hand panel on the left side of the machine, and situated at the base of the water matrix, and to the left of the the float switch, I have already taken that apart and checked it and that too is fine)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have now found the circulating pump but I don't have the right tool to remove the ear crimp clamp that's attached around the hose! I'll try and get something to do this tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've now removed the ear crimp (Oetiker) clamp that circled the hose. I've dismantled the circulating pump from the sump. The circulating pump doesn't appear to be seized up. It's rotating fine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I removed the impeller from the pump and stripped it all down to the base of the shaft. Everything looks OK here except in one place right at the base of the shaft where some of the metal looks as if it has sheared. I don't know if you can see that on the photo? Could that metal fatigue be the cause of the problem?The only other part that doesn't look 100% right is the motor. There are a couple of parts on that that look quite worn away. I've attached a photo of this too. The parts that look kind of worn down/abraded to me are at 12 and 6 o' clock in the photo. What do you think, does that look right to you?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK I need you to test the pump, you can leave it out with the wires still connected and see if the shaft turns shortly after the pump stops pumping the water down the drain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I reassembled everything. I figured if either of those parts was faulty it would be expensive to repair - particularly the worn parts on the motor. I cleaned everything up as best I could and replaced the ear crimp clamp with a screw-adjustable, reusable one that I picked up for £1.50. It took me about 2 hrs to put everything back together. It was particularly difficult to reconnect the two hoses to the circulatory motor and the sump. Anyway, I ran the machine on a quick wash and it seemed to go OK! No leeks or anything. The salt light came on even though I had filled it with a bit of salt before I ran it. I'll try and run it again tomorrow, with dishes in it this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I added a lot more salt too. Possibly too much as it was clearly visible when I react reed the salt dispenser cap back on...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK hopefully you should be OK now but keep an eye on it, if the pumps stops once it usually causes the insulation on the motor to start to breakdown.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thanks. Did those "worn" parts in the photos look OK or are they on their way out do you think?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

From what I could see they looked OK but remember that the heat on the windings is in the center of the motor not on the outside where the fan can cool it. The fact that the spray arms dont rotate indicates that there is insufficient water pressure to cause this to happen. They are mechanically propelled by the spray bar jets gushing out high pressure water.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mmmmm, my water pressure here *is* very low. This is a Victorian property and this is the first time a dishwasher has been plumbed in. This dishwasher actually worked fine when I first set it up. It developed problems after a weeks' use though. If the water pressure - or lack of - is the issue, I guess it's going to pack up again soon��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know that the spray arms *did* rotate earlier today though - because I checked their position before the wash and their position had moved when the cycle had finished. Also, I could hear the water being flung around the drum/tub.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK looks good then - no the water pressure to the appliance is not the problem, it is the ability of the circulating pump to supply high enough water pressure to the spray bars to spin them. If this is happening you should be OK.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I still don't quite understand why my dishwasher stopped working. Or even why it is now working. I'm just glad that it is working again. Thanks for confirming about the water pressure not being the issue.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

A pleasure, likely scale but keep an eye on it and come back to me if you need further help. In the meantime would you kindly rate the help given by selecting from the star rating at the top of the screen. This allows me to shut down the question on my screen but allows you to come back at any time and continue the question. Thank you for using JA and have a good day - Ian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh Ian, it has stopped working again! Same old problem. Water not circulating but filling and emptying fine. I'll be home in a few mins. I just want to check that the hose I fitted hasn't come loose or come off
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've taken the sides off. The hose clamp is still in place. There hasn't been any leak.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 month ago.

OK well it now sounds like the circulating pump is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I tell whether it's the circulation pump or the motor that needs replacing? Or do I have to replace both?