Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have a problem with my Lamona HJA8630 dishwasher.

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Lamona HJA8630 dishwasher. Whichever setting I try it on, I shut the door and it sounds like it will start but the noise doesn't change. It doesn't fill up with water and would keep making the same noise (perhaps a motor?) until I then open the door.
Also another point, before this problem starred yesterday, I would sometimes put the dishwasher on a "no heat" setting, then that cycle had finished, I would open the door to lots and lots of steam and heat. Wasn't a problem as such but guessed that wasn't what it was supposed to be doing! I have checked the filter and all clear, as are the spinning arms.
An help would be appreciated.
Thank you
I have
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 13 days ago.

If you open the door and pore a jug of water inside the dishwasher and then close the door does the water drain out stight away?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The water drains out if I close the door with the dishwasher set to start working. I can then hear the water draining from the sink. If the dishwasher is turned off it doesn't do anything.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for that.

If the dishwasher drained the water out when you closed the door and its not doing anything else when you try and start it then then its the anti flood switch in the base thats activated in there.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lean it 45 degrees backwards. This will allow the water to drain out from the base under the dishwasher. So you will need a towel for that part.

Once the water has drained from the base the flood switch will reset itself and this will clear the fault.

So then retry it and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed this is a one off overflow that caused it. But if it happens again then theres a water leak in there which you need to find and fix to cure the fault.

But as to the heat part were you said it was hot at the end of the cold wash then this is the control board thats the fault. The heater relay sticks and causes the heater to come on when it shouldnt.

Ive replaced loads of them for this fault as it is a common fault on these. So for that part the control board will need to be replaced to sort that part put as well.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there an easy way to actually pull the dishwasher out? I have no idea how I would try to do that.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 12 days ago.

If the dishwasher is installed correctly then it should come out easy enough.

You need to remove the wooden kick board at the bottom of your kitchen.

Then up the door and look at the top of the dishwasher either side and there will be a screw holding the dishwasher to the under side.

Remove then then it should pull out from under there. You may need to lower the feet.

Or another way is remove the wooden kick board and then at the bottom of the dshwasher below the door you will see a metal cover. Remove and this make sure its unplugged.

Then you can access the base there and use a sponge and soak the water up from there and that should clear the flood switch. But if it does leak again then the dishwasher will need to be pulled out.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Well I've attempted the second way of doing it, cannot even unscrew 3 of the 4 screws as they're in so tightly... thought I was doing so well with the first one coming out easily! My other half is home tomorrow so hopefully he'll have a bit more luck than I have had tonight! Will let you know how we go.
Thank you
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 12 days ago.

No worries, Fingers crossed you can do it.

Customer: replied 11 hours ago.
Hi sorry for the late reply. We managed to take the Base panel off and mopped out the water. The dishwasher was then working fine. We still have a little bit of water collecting on each wash so will need to pull it out to investigate that.
Thank you
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 hours ago.

Ok hopefully that will sort the fault from there once you find the leak.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.