Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a rangemaster oven. Yesterday the fan did not come on

Customer Question

Hi, i have a rangemaster oven. Yesterday the fan did not come on in the oven and glowed red hot. Turned it off and left it to cool down. Tried again and the fan worked fine. Does the fan need replacing?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a rangemaster Toledo dual oven and is around 12 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: my husband is very handy so yes
JA: The expert is ready to answer your appliance question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: no thats it thanks thanks for that
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no we don't have a multimeter
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK lets me explain how the system works and then we can see if we can make some progress. The main oven selector switch switches the power to the fan and also the main oven element but through different contacts. If the oven element works but not the fan it is usually either the selector switch or the fan itself. As you dont have a multimeter we have to take a guess as to which it is. However, I want you to have a look in the oven and at the back you should be able to see the fan blade. Come back to me when you have located it, it is behind a panel but you can usually see it through the panel vents.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok that all makes sense. can see the fan blade at the back of the oven.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK switch the oven on and with a thin screwdriver flick the blades and see if it then starts the fan up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This time the fan came on no problem. It is just the once that it failed and was red hot
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK almost sure to be the fan motor bearings getting worn which then causes problems for it to start. Keep an eye on it because it likely will happen again and can cause the main fan oven element to burn out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks for that. I will order a new fan.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

A pleasure, would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, so that I can shut the job down on my screen. Once done if you need further help come back to me as your call will be directed back to my station. Thank you for using JA and have a good day - Ian