Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have a delonghi duel fuel range cooker. When the oven is

Hi, I have a delonghi duel fuel range cooker. When the oven is switched on everything works as it should but after several minutes it trips out. I spoke to an engineer who advised me to change the thermostat, which I have done but this hasn't made any difference. Once you reset the oven using the power switch it and set the clock it will work again for a while..... What should I check next?

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Can you post the model number please.

Also when you say it trips out is it tripping the RCD unit in your house?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, model DFS 901SS.
The oven trips out not the house electrics. You have to use the switch to reset the oven

Ok so when it cuts out how long does it take before it comes back on again?

Does it take about 20 minutes or so or does it come on stright away when you retry it?

Also was it the main oven thermostat that you replaced, The one that you turn on the front panel?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It comes back on straight after you reset it, and it was the thermostat fitted to the front panel to the sensor located in the oven.

Ok dont know whey they said to change the thermostat as that wont cause this fault. As the thermostat only controls the heat inside the oven.

When this happens on these range ovens the most common cause is the main oven selector switch. These have a habit of burning out at the back of the switch.

When you replace the thermostat i dont supposed you noticed the selector switch did you?

If you can strip it down again and have a good look at the oven selector switch as they do like to burn towards the back of the switch and cause this fault.

Ive replaced loads of them on the Delonghi ovens as its quite a common fault.

Check that oven switch first and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK will do tomorrow as I am at work now.

No worries thats fine.

Just wondering how you got on with the appliance as the question is still open?

Do you still need more help on this? If so then just get back to me. If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Daniel, I had the top off earlier on and there isn't any signs of wear / burning at the switch.

Ok strange as from the fault you described i would have though it was the selector switch that caused this.

But if thats fine then you need to check the thermal cut out. This is a small thermostat on the back of the oven cavity. Its will ahve 2 wires on there and is about the size of a 10p.

Remove the back panel of the oven and locate that and from there check the wiring to thee thermal cut out and see if theres signs of buring on there. If it looks ok then check it for contonuity with your meter and see if fault and if so then it will need to be replaced.

Check that and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will do. Thanks

No worries.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will check the stat later, if it's OK what's the next thing I should be looking at (apart from a new oven!)

If the thermal cut out is fine then im out of suggestions. As for this fault were its cutting out its usually either the thermal cut out or the selector switch.

When it cuts out does the clock go off?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, no the clock stays on when the oven cuts out

Ok in that case its usually something to do with the thermal cut out or the selector so check it when you can and see what you find.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, I checked the thermal cut out and it was a bit burned, however was working ok. I replaced it anyway for peace of mind. It tripped out after7 minutes. The selector switch looked fine and clean but I think I will replace it in case it is faulty

Ok if the thermal cut out is fine just try the selector switch as i dont think its overheating and tripping out as if this was the case then you find it doesnt turn back on for about 20 minuites. Were as you say it comes back on stright away if you turn it off and back on which makes it look like the switch.

When it goes out try giving the oven selector switch a wiggle and see if it comes back on as this is usually the sign the switch is faulty.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Well....I have replaced the thermostat and the faulty cut out. The replacement TCO was a different shape to the old unit (old ones obsolete) which sits in line on the cables and isn't fixed to the back panel like the old one, woI also replaced the selector switch which seemed to work but then after 13 minutes it tripped out. The oven cuts out and the clock flashes zero (doesn't trip the RCD). Once I had set the clock it ran again for another 25 mind before cutting out. Once again I reset the clock and from then on it seemed to work OK, coming on/off when getting to temperature. Something is still not right, it seems to be when first turn the oven on.
I will monitor this to see if any changes occur

Just wondering how it got on over the weekend as the question is still open?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry I have been away with work so haven't used it since, I will let you know later.
Cheers Phil

No worries thats fine.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
every time the oven tripped out previously, the little symbol on the clock display (that looks like a dish with wavy lines which I think means the oven is in operation) went out. The good news is the oven works fine however the symbol now only works the first time the oven is switched on. If the oven is switched off then back on again the symbol stays off yet the oven comes on?

Ok sounds like there could be a fault on the clock as well then.

But if the oven works fine then if you dont use timer cooking then i would just leave the clock part if the oven works.