Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18 yr in home service
13202342

MY FRIDGE IS FREEZING. I HAVE CLARET THE DEFROST DRAIN HOLE.

Customer Question

Hi MY FRIDGE IS FREEZING. I HAVE CLARET THE DEFROST DRAIN HOLE . ALL IS CLEAN. I HAVE TURNED THE TEMPERATURE DOWN TO 1 AND STILL IT IS FREEZING. MY MODEL IS HOTPOINT RLA 51. ANY ADVICE ON FIXING IT PLEASE.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My fridge is over 8 years old. Model RL A 51
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if it's possible. I do know where to get a new thermostat. I have a problem buying a new fridge because of my kitchen layout.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have made sure there is nothing touching the panel at back of fridge and the seal on the door is good xand clean. No dust build up on cooling panel or motor.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 2 months ago.

hello. from your description of symptoms the problem would be the thermostat as you probably expect..that is the only thing that regulates the temps ..everything will just run until the thermostat tells the compressor to shut off ..as the fridge gets older the bi metal contacts can pit and stick or not make good contactt..if you know where to get a control ,that would be my recommendation to replace the control thermostat thx Randy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Can you give me a few instructions on changing the thermostat. Is it easy enough for a fairly competent diy'er to do.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 2 months ago.

yes ,if you are mechanically inclined its not hard ..just a few screws to get in console ..two wires ..its just follow ur nose type stuff , nothing to complicated

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you have ordered parts, will contact you when they arrive. Or can you give me some useful tips on getting into the casing to replace thermostat. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Randy have changed the thermostat but still freezing. Any ideas please